The Certificate Course in Arbitration (“the Certificate Course”) is ideal for persons who are interested to venture into to world of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Whilst all interested persons may not necessarily aspire to become arbitrators (Fellows), this course provides the student a better understanding of the law and practice of arbitration. It is therefore specifically structured to provide a general introduction to the principles of law and arbitration.
The Certificate Course consists of 2 modules, both of which must be passed successfully as a prerequisite to enrolling for the Fellowship Admission Course.
Qualification for Enrollment:
Prospective candidates must be Associate Members.
The Certificate Course consists of 2 modules:
- Module 1 – Introduction to the Theory of Law and Contract Law; and
- Module 2 – Introduction to the Law and Practice of Arbitration.
Candidates may enrol to undertake either 1 or both modules to run concurrently. If the election is to run the course over 2 years, candidates must commence with Module 1.
Candidates will enrol online, whereafter they will be registered with the respective course module and will be able to access the e-Learning portal in order to download the course notes. The course is self-study based with assignments which must be submitted at various prescribed dates. Assignments will be marked by the designated tutor who will also furnish applicable commentary thereafter.
Any person wanting to undertake the course may make application by completing the enrolment form through the link below or through the Association’s web page, www.arbitrators.co.za.
- Part A – Introduction to the Theory of Law: Gives the candidate a brief explanation and introduction of the what, where and when of South African law. On completion a candidate will have a brief overview and understanding of what the term “law” means; where South African law originates; what legislation is; the court system of South Africa; and the precedent system.
- Part B – Introduction to the Law of Contract: Will introduce a candidate to the basic principles of the law of contract; the nature and formation of contracts; operation and interpretation of contracts; breach of contracts and the remedies available; and the ultimate termination of contract. A more detailed study of the law of contract follows in Module 3 which is part of the Fellowship Admission Course.
- Law and Practice of Arbitration: Introduces a candidate to the law and practice of arbitration in South Africa, including relevant legislation and procedures used in conducting an arbitration and making an enforceable award.
Workshops and Seminars:
The Certificate Course is a correspondence course and, as such, there are no formal lectures presented. An introductory workshop will however be held online at the beginning of the year and a further online workshop will take place towards the middle of the year.
Examinations will be written annually during October/November. Both modules’ examinations will be closed book. The examinations will be held online.
The enrollment fees (inclusive of VAT) are: R13 500.00 per module.
The course material will only be made available to the candidate on proof of full payment.
Closing Date for Enrolment:
29 February 2021
Please download the Information Booklet (Modules 1 and 2).
In an effort to provide some financial relief to our individual and corporate members in the current economic climate, the Association has formulated the following policies for the duration of 2021:
- For individual members, there will be no entry fee, subscription fee or enrolment fee increases.
- For all entry fees, subscription fees and course enrolment fees to be paid on behalf of members by corporate/juristic entities, the following discounts will apply:
- A 5% discount if two employees/members/partners or the like apply for membership and/or enrol for courses.
- A 10% discount if three employees/members/partners or the like apply for membership and/or enrol for courses.
- A 15% discount if four employees/members/partners or the like apply for membership and/or enrol for courses.
- A 20% discount if five to nine employees/members/partners or the like apply for membership and/or enrol for courses.
- A 25% discount if more than ten employees/members/partners or the like apply for membership and/or enrol for courses.
Please note that the Association’s Company Rules prescribe that only natural persons may be accepted as members. The responsibility to ensure timeous payment of all fees remains that of individual members, irrespective of who effects such payment on behalf of a member.
You are cordially invited to make use of this offer.